I have been using “Hurry, Hurry Drive the Firetruck” this week during Musical Playground in ECSE classrooms to work on goals of turn taking, joint attention, impulse control, and imitating gross motor movements. The melody is simple so kids latch on to it right away and a handbell in the key you are singing the song in serves as the focus of joint attention. Have kids imitate the gross motor movements and wait to play the bell at “ding, ding, ding, ding, ding” to work on improving impulse control. Use as many verses as needed (or as few) so that each child gets a turn to play the bell. I like to repeat the song 2-3 times so everyone has a chance to get the gross motor movements and more than one turn to play the bell.
Here is the lead sheet and lyrics:
1) Hurry, hurry drive the firetruck (3x) [make driving motion w/ hands]
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!
2) Hurry, hurry turn the corner [sway side to side as if turning corners while “steering” with hands]
3) Hurry, hurry find the fire [hands over eyes to look for the fire]
4) Hurry, hurry climb the ladder [pretend to climb up with arms]
5) Hurry, hurry save the baby [cradle pretend baby in arms]
6) Hurry, hurry squirt the water [pretend to hold a hose and spray water all around]
7) Slowly, slowly, back to the station [“steer” slowly]
Hope you have a fun time pretending to be firefighters with this Friday Favorite!